Friday, September 21, 2007

Easy Healthy Recipes: Protein Shake


Here is a great easy healthy recipe for a protein shake. I have this exact same thing in the morning very often.

I find that it gives me the energy I need to jump start my day and get going with some extra ooomph! I will almost always have one of these before hitting the gym (which is usually in the morning for me), and I will often have these after getting home from work before dinner, or later in the evening after dinner.

This is a very well balanced shake that has enough good carbs to carry the protein to your muscle. It is important to understand the relationship that protein and carbohydrates share. There is a metaphor that I remember reading about protein being like building materials and carbs being like the workers at a job site... no carbs, the building materials are there, but nothing gets built because there is no one to do the work. No protein, the workers are present, but nothing gets built because there are no building materials. There is a fundamental need for them both. But, enough of that.

I find this shake very tasty, and it is VERY easy to make. I will clock myself tomorrow morning and see just how long takes, but if I had to guess right now, I would put it at the 2-3 minute range, including cleaning the blender.

Ingredients:
1x Banana
1/2 cup of frozen Strawberries or Raspberries
1-2 Scoops of your favorite protein powder (you want whatever equals 45-50g of protein... I prefer whey)
16 oz. water
2-3 ice cubes
1/4c of oatmeal (I use plain ol' quaker oats)

Directions:
1. It is best to grind the oats in a coffee grinder, but is not necessary. It just gives a different texture to the shake.
2. Combine all ingredients in a blender.
3. Blend for 30-45 seconds.
4. Drink contents.
5. Clean blender

See how easy that was!?! What excuse do you have to eat anything crappy, like fast food, with great stuff like this?

Please visit Health-E-Meals for more quick and healthy recipes and resources for busy people.

No comments: